Making Plarn

For those who knit or crochet and like to find alternate uses for common things, you are probably aware of what plarn is. But if you think I'm making odd adult films, read on.

Plarn is a catchy word for yarn made from recycled plastic bags. It is an easy to make yarn that can be used like any other wool, cotton or polyester yarn you buy at the craft store. There are lots of places online to find instructions about how to do it like here and here and here. All you need are plastic bags and a pair of scissors. I've been saving my shopping bags for awhile now and have plenty of white, some green and some tan. I am also making balls of plarn that are made from bread bags. I haven't yet decided what to make with it but once I have all my bags cut and wound into balls of plarn I'll tackle a knitting or crocheting project.

I also recently decided to get rid of many of my old cassettes and while looking for a way to recycle them I found out that you can make great things with audio or video cassette tape used as yarn. I'm thinking of making a small black purse or carry-all from old Metallica and Judas Priest tapes. It'll be rockin'!

Comments

Popular Posts