Hiking with Luna: Paradise Ridge

Not too far from home is a hidden gem of a short trail. Paradise Ridge is a bigger bump in the Palouse covered in trees and rising above the wheatfields. The first time Luna and I went there was with a couple friends and their dog. I had heard of the place but had no idea how to get there as it isn't on a map. There is no parking lot. There is only a wide spot in the road where you can pull off. An easy to miss gate and tree stumps mark the old logging road that serves as your entrance to the trail. The first time my friends and I hiked the short, simple loop early on a Sunday. We finished that day in the nick of time as we were watching dark clouds roll in and knew a storm was coming our way from the southwest. We made it back to our cars just in time before the downpour started. Luna loved having another dog to run through the woods with and I enjoyed getting outside again with some friends.
Luna had just licked Maria's forehead. She can jump!

This past weekend just Luna and I went to Paradise Ridge and we had a blast. I had a new pair of Vibram Five Finger shoes to wear and loved it! I think I like hiking much better in these shoes than my hiking boots. I'll have to do a few more trips to be sure. It feels like walking around in thick socks. I can feel everything but don't get hurt, got some grass stuck between my toes, and my back never hurt.

Luna was wearing her backpack harness for the first time and didn't seem to mind it at all.  As a matter of fact, she was extremely calm when I first put it on her and adjusted all the straps. It was as if she knew that she had to sit still so her backpack could be fitted and we could go on a walk. I'll be adding weight to the pack this weekend and see how she does. I suspect she'll love it. Puppy Pack means long walks in the woods!

It drizzled on us for most of the time we were out there which meant we had the trail to ourselves. It was so quiet and peaceful. I did a little walking meditation and just enjoyed the fresh smells, cool air, flowers, and bird songs. Luna loves hiking to because she can run all over the place. I am guessing that she covers 4 times as many miles as I do with all her jaunts back and forth. She's learned how to drink out of my hydration pack too so I know she'll stay hydrated on hikes.

I intended to hike up to the radio towers which we didn't do the first time. But didn't want to be caught out there if the storm got worse so we headed back to the car. It was a beautiful quick walk in a wooded area that is only about 10 minutes from home. Luna got to run around off leash and I was able to enjoy the walk too. I suspect we'll be going back there often. Next time I'll get to the radio towers.

Comments

Popular Posts