The Ultimate Joy

I love listening to podcasts and one of my favorites that I mentioned a long time ago is RadioLab hosted by Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich. Every week I get to hear them explore an new and exciting science topic. Episode 3 from season 11 aired on December 17th and was called Bliss. Their investigation was all about what makes people exceptionally happy to a point that their lives are changed.

They opened with a fascinating and funny story about Aleksander Gamme, an adventurer who embarked on a solo trek to the south pole and back by himself over a period of 86 days. Along the way he would stash items in buried caches to save weight. On his return, he would dig them up often not remembering what he had put in them. The video below is made by him while digging up one of these caches. Make sure when you watch it you have the captions turned on so you can understand what he is saying. But even without that you can understand his complete and utter joy and excitement when finding cheese doodles and candy bars in the cache. I can't think of a time that I have ever been so blissed out and happy that I hollered like he does. It made me smile and giggle. What a wonderful feeling. I look forward to a day when I experience such a profound joy that I cannot help but whoop! and laugh like him. Enjoy this heartwarming video (captions on). And be sure to check out the RadioLab podcast.

Comments

Popular Posts