Mt. Lions in your Backyard

I just saw a link to a great article and series of photos about a pair of mountain lions that were on the back porch of a home in Boulder, CO. The young one was being stared down by the home owners house cat who didn't look too concerned.

Even when I lived in Broomfield, CO (once a small town, about 20 miles from Boulder) 20 years ago there were reports of mt. lions in the Boulder area. When I was attending Colorado State University I went to a guest lecture of a wildlife biologist who studied them. He showed a map of the city of Boulder covered with little red dots which represented confirmed lion sitings. There were lots of dots in back yards. I have yet to ever see one but boy would I just love to!

The response of the homeowner was awesome. Gail Loveman said "I feel blessed!" What a great way to look at the wildlife that you come across. She said she would be more careful outside, particularly at dawn and dusk but still appreciates their presence. I wish more folks realized that even large predators are amazing and it is not really necessary to eradicate them all. Pay attention, make wise choices and enjoy the critters around you!

Here are some links to other lion stories...
Mt. Lion on University of Colorado campus - Boulder
Mt. Lion in Safeway parking lot - Lewiston, ID
Mt. Lion from South Dakota killed in Conneticut

Comments

Popular Posts