The Oregon Trail

I mentioned in my previous post my trip to southern Idaho for a conference. Well, in addition to see Shoshone Falls, I checked out a few other locations nearby and while at Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument (post coming soon) I came upon evidence of the Oregon Trail. The park focuses on fossil discoveries in the area but also has evidence of the Trail going through it. There are hiking trails that follow along the Trail which I didn't walk. Rattlesnakes and very uncomfortable heat made it very unappealing to hike around the area. Thousands of people crossed the continent along this trail. on their way to Oregon Country. I can do the same trip in two or three days that took them 6 months.

At first I couldn't see the tracks. All I saw was this.


 Then I stopped at another wayside exhibit, examined the sign... 

 ...and then saw the tracks. It was awesome to see evidence of the wagons moving west.
Those ruts in the middle of the photo, headed toward the paved road, were made by travelers more than 150 years ago.

Comments

Popular Posts