DIY Paper Bag Floor: What Does it Cost?

See the other posts in this series here....
And So It Begins...
Planning and Materials

So, what does a paper bag floor cost? It often is all about the bottom line really. No matter how cool it looks and how easy it is to do, the dollar signs can often make the decision about a home renovation.

I have broken down the prices of the materials that we bought and got an average price per square foot. As it stands covering a floor that is approximately 130 square feet is $160 or $1.30/square foot.

Our cost
Water-based Polyurethane: $65/gallon; 2 gallons =$130
Polyshade - pre-stained polyurethane: $18/quart; 1 quarts = $18

Kraft paper: $6/roll; 2 rolls = $12

Two brushes - $12 each = $24
Lambswool applicator - $8
Refill applicator - $5
Extension post for applicator - $4

TOTAL COST of flooring materials: $160
Cost of tools that weren't already in Erin's tool box: $41
Root beer floats: Priceless

The following is a comparison of costs for other popular flooring options in a room the same size as the one we did. These prices are for the lower grade/less expensive without being cheaply made versions of each.

Hardwood flooring - $1200
Slate tile - $870
Pergo - $560
Bamboo - $550
Painted cement -  $475
Mid-grade carpet- $300
Linoleum - $140

So you can see it is comparable to Linoleum and cheaper than the other options. BUT Erin, is not fond of linoleum. I am not really either. If I still had my farmhouse, I'd have done this ages ago on the sun room. I'll try not to think about it and focus on getting this floor done so I can have practice before I get a new home and do my own floors.

My next post will have lots of photos of us in action. Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular Posts