DIY Paper Bag Floor: Where the Paper Meets the Floor

See the previous posts here
And So It Begins....
Planning and Materials
What Does it Cost?
Preppin' the Paper and Floor

As soon as we finished painting, Erin and I cleaned up the floor again and got ready to rock. You may have noticed a dearth of photos with me in them. I was the photographer after all. Trust me, I was there too. I have the soar feet and polyurethane covered knees to prove it.

To begin we picked a corner of the room.

It is a bit hard to understand in the video at times. We'd paint on a layer of the water based poly onto the floor; and then unwrinkle a wad of paper, lay it on the floor and then paint poly over it. Erin had done a test with a board earlier in the day and discovered the best way to apply the paper so that the stain looks right and goes smoothly.

It took us about 3 hours for the two of us to completely cover the floor in paper bag. It was back breaking work as we had to scoot along on our butts and lay piece after piece of paper on the floor. Rootbeer float breaks were taken and some of the poly managed to get on our legs and Erin's clothes.







It looks very wrinkly but that is normal. We were so exhausted at the end of it all that we just couldn't do the next layer which is the one with the stain in it. Erin will do that herself tonite and hopefully take some photos that I can post here.








Satisfied with a job well done!
The biggest part of the task DONE!



Keep checking back for more updates!

Comments

  1. Colleen, cool floor. I tried to talk Mom into letting me do the bathroom floor in the Sunday comics. Like that would ever happen. You can use that method for many things. Book cases, shelving, walls, coffee and end tables, let your imagination run a little wild. To make it pretty you can use wrapping paper, but make sure that the colors do not run or smear when applying the poly coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad, Sally, in the pictures, wants us to possibly do her kitchen counters this way. Would look so neat! We were also contemplating using paper punches from scrapbooking to add an edging or random elements on the floor. I even thought it'd be funny to put down lines outlining the location of the furniture in the room like in floor plans.
      I like the idea of doing the comics on a piece of furniture for a kids room. I see your logic in using comics for a bathroom floor but I'm with mom on that one :). And I hadn't thought of using wrapping paper but I can definitely see that it could be done. I see more projects in the future!

      Delete
  2. Just another thought, you can also use fabric. Burlap would be cool, old flour sacks, cut up old jeans. Seeing that it is called a paper bag floor a small occasional table with adds from the local grocery store might be worked in. Things keep popping into my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you think about using pattern paper? or would be to thin?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts