Nature Notes: A Parliament of Owls

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/North_America/
United_States/photo210357.htm
I can hardly contain my excitement tonight. I have finally seen, in the wild, a barn owl. Actually there were at least 4 of them and possibly 5 or 6. After a long day on campus I took Luna to the dog park to get her some much needed exercise right before the sun set. We were doing our typical routine of throw-fetch-retrieve when I saw a large bird fly into the trees next to the park. Every spring there is a mated pair of red-tailed hawks that has a nest there. But this bird didn't look like a  hawk at all. It was quite light colored and had a different flight pattern. I watched as a couple more swooped into the area. They continued to gracefully glide back and forth over the field. I quickly knew they were owls but assumed they must be great horned owls. My mind just figured they were gray/light phase great horned owls. Something in my gut just didn't sit right with that assumption and I continued to watch them as I tossed the ball for Luna. She was, of course, oblivious to anything but that tennis ball.

Suddenly, one of the owls came in my direction and flew right over my head. It was slow enough and close enough for me to easily see the cream colored face with the heart shaped tan outline of the facial disc. I just about wet my pants I was so excited. I realized that all those owls were barn owls - a bird I've only seen in captivity. And there they were just flitting about right next to the dog park. The sun was slowly setting and it was getting darker but I could easily see the white underbelly of each bird. One landed in the dark shadows of a tree and its light color popped out of the darkness. It had the typical thin profile and stance of a barn owl. For 15 or 20 minutes I watched these beautiful birds fly around the trees and swoop close to the field and over the dog park. Finally when it was full dark and I couldn't see them anymore, Luna and I went home.

I am still curious as to why they would be in a group of at least 4 and possibly many  more. I've never heard of this before and my brief research indicates that they may gather in roosts of a dozen or so birds in the fall and winter. They also are not defensive about their hunting grounds and many birds will hunt the same fields without any competition.It is still odd to see so many together. But it must happen as there is a name for a flock: A Parliament of Owls. What a great name eh?

I'll continue to visit the dog park and will keep my eyes and ears open for more sitings of these awesome birds.

Comments

Popular Posts