Sustainable Laundry and Household Cleaning

If you look back through my archives you will see where I have been working at reducing my consumption of highly processed products and/or products that contain ingredients that I'd rather not have around. I started by going "No Poo" which is the elimination of shampoo and conditioner and the use of more natural products. I also posted an update to my experience with it. Recently I decided to start making my furry companion's food from scratch. I have only been doing food for my dog Luna as she was experiencing the most negative reactions to store bought kibbles. I'll post an update soon and I also hope to do this for my two kitties as well.

Now, I have ventured into more sustainable cleaning products. I have never been a lover of bleach or highly caustic cleansers anyway. But I like the idea of using less chemicals if possible, having a smaller impact on the environment, and of course saving money. When I could I bought cleaners that were more 'green' but what does that really mean anyway? I know that many companies use that label as a ploy to attract folks like me into buying their products. Some, I am sure, are legitimately better for the environment. But they also come with a hefty price. Then when the eco-products were running out I started using the simple but oh-so-effective magical vinegar and baking soda as cleaners all over the house.

That was a fairly easy shift to make. Just put the ingredients in a spray bottle. Finally I decided to bite the bullet and try making my own laundry soap. I must admit that I have been quite inspired by the things I see on Pinterest: here, here, and here to name just a few. I kept seeing pins for homemade laundry soap and I was running out so I decided to try it. There are tons of recipes on the internet. Some are for liquid laundry soap which is just way too involved and time consuming for my taste. So I found a recipe for powdered soap and made a couple batches. I've been using it and really like it so far.
There are only three ingredients in a 1:1:2 ratio:
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
2 cups Fels Naptha soap bars - grated finely
                                                  Source: tipnut.com via Colleen on Pinterest

I used my handy-dandy food processor to grate and then mix all the ingredients. It only takes 2 tbsp of the powder for a load of laundry. Safe for all types of washers, septic systems, and fabrics. And it was cheap! I'm one step closer to using Soap Nuts!

                                                                    Source: cleangreensimple.com via Colleen on Pinterest

Comments

Popular Posts