Ethical Christmas Trees

So for the first time in years I have a real tree in my livingroom for Christmas. Years ago I bought a fake tree thinking it was 'the environmental thing to do' but after a bit of research and contemplation I am rethinking that belief. I've always known that Christmas tree farms aren't really forests but just a well groomed crop of plants that people only harvest and buy in November and December. I thought that if I chose a fake tree I'd be saving a living tree and reducing the demand on the market for trees thereby reducing the number of tree farms which could magically be turned back into natural forest. Yeah, I didn't really think it out.

This year I was faced with the option of getting a 'real' tree and I hemmed and hawed. Real ones smell great and look awesome. BUT I've already got a tree in a box upstairs. A real one would cost money. It might dry out and drop needles. blah blah blah. Then I did some research and discovered that most fake trees aren't even made in the US. Most are manufactured in China from plastic (a petroleum product), metal, glue, and of course a cardboard shipping box. Then they are shipped across the globe to the states. The average life span of a fake tree is said to be about 15 years. I could debate that since my folks had one for much longer and it always looked great. But, what does happen to all the fake trees whose usefulness is over? Maybe they go to a thrift store. Maybe someone buys it at a garage sale. Or maybe it just winds up in a landfill. Regardless of how often it is reused it will eventually end up in a dump.

A real tree however is grown in the US (or maybe some in Canada). Purchasing one locally at a U-Cut-It farm provides income directly to the farmer.You get to have a great outing with loved ones as you visit the farm or the tree lot to pick out the perfect tree. Every year you can get a different species. When the season is over the trees can be composted. Most larger towns and cities have programs where they pick up your trees or you can drop them off and they turn them into something useful. We will probably put our tree in the chicken yard as winter cover for the birds. Then come spring, it will be left to decompose in our large compost pile.




Hmmm.....plastic tree that eventually winds up in dump OR live tree that will go right back into the soil it came from?

I went with the live one. Anybody out there want to buy a used fake Christmas tree?


Comments

  1. http://www.frombeyondthegrid.comDecember 16, 2009 at 6:02 PM

    Hi Colleen,

    I really enjoyed your blog on Ethical Christmas Tree. I have a web site which caters to the homesteader and I know they would enjoy reading what you have to say, as I did. Would you give me permission to feature your blog on our front page?

    Look forward to your response,
    Diane
    email address is: diane5000@gmail.com
    Ontario Canada

    http://frombeyondthegrid.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I wanna know is why you just announced you had a blog on December 17 when you started it all the way back on December 12? Hmmmm? ;)

    Welcome blogger!!!

    Oh...and actually, it's not a live tree once you cut it, silly. ;) Now, for a "real" live tree, I grab the 5 year old Charlie Brown looking thing that lives out on my front porch all year (it grew up from one of those tiny supermarket tree/plants), bring it in, sprinkle a couple lights and some reused bows, and voila...Christmas tree! Granted, the smell isn't the same, the branches are spindly and can't really hold ornaments and the inside parts of the branches are a bit brown. But hey, it's living and suggests a Christmas tree, and when I'm all done, it goes back out to decorate my porch once again...no landfill, no compost and it continues to eat CO2. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts